Monday, February 27, 2006

The February Blues

I turn on my laptop first thing every morning and set it to listen to my favourite radio station, 102.1 The Edge. Then I hear all of these wonderful concert announcements, some traffic and weather reports from this far off land that I call home. At first, this made me think of the incredible possiblities of technology, and how a simple radio station could so easily transport me to the most basic comforts of home. However, this simple form of escape has not cured me from my homesickness, but maybe made it worse. The bleak month of February is almost over and I hope that the upcoming weeks heading to Spring will make this feeling go away. I often look at maps in my school and travelling destinations on the Internet, and think of all the places I could be with this voice in my head saying "anywhere but here." I am only a few days away from accomplishing my first 6 months and although I feel very proud of this, I should maybe be telling myself "Shit, I only have 6 more months before facing the harsh reality of what I will be doing for the rest of my life." I know that once I go back home, maybe after making up for lost time with my friends and family, it will be time to seriously think about my future. So maybe I should start feeling blessed for being in Japan, not only because it is an experience that only a few people get to do, but also because it is giving me some time to think about these hard questions. But at the same time I am looking forward to start the rest of my life and that feeling is much stronger than wanting to stay in safe Japan for another year. There is a big world out there and it is time for something new.

Oh, look at Eve being so deep... bah...

And I hope that no one will get really offended by this, but the one thing, the one person, I miss the most is my mother. I keep on imagining going out and doing things with her and just talk. I have become so nostalgic living here and thinking back to when I was a little girl and the fun times I would have with my family, but especially with my mom. My only wish after work would be to go to this Greek restaurant on Danforth for some dinner, have a beer along with some greek appetizers and then finish off at this gelato parlour on Bathurst. Wouldn't that be great? as simple as this seems.

Anyway, I just didnt think I would feel homesick before leaving Canada. I am actually really surprised of feeling this way. I have lived away from home four years before. I never knew it would start here. I honestly didnt. But there are also some amazing things here in Japan that I should really consider and embrace. I shouldnt forget about all of the wonderful things this country has to offer me that I couldnt get in canada. Only good things are ahead. I know it.

For starters, Diane and I went to this beautiful place called Matsushima, just 2 hours north from Fukushima. It is considered one of three most beautiful views in Japan. It is along the ocean and is made up of over 200 pine-covered islands.

My girl, Diane and I on the train to Sendai. Just being with her alone is an awsome retreat, being with her in Matsushima was a delight.


Some oysters fishing boats facing the beautiful Matsushima sea.


The Godai-dou Hall, a wooden shrine that is only opened once every 33 years, next time being in 2006! Need to look into that.


Beautiful Matsushima.


House perched over a cliff facing Matsuhima. It must be quite the view all day everyday.


Mountains of empty oyster shells.


Savouring our oyster lunch with a bottle of Asahi beer.


The red bridge, view from the Godai-dou temple.


I like this picture I took from the steps of the shrine.

Man inducing Diane to try some cow tongue, "Mam, it is popular in Japan."

Plastic display of a cooked cow tongue.


The real deal... I tried it because I was basically given a piece as I was looking over what he was cooking. I wasnt even quite sure if it was cow tongue, but I have to say that it wasnt bad. A little chewy with a strange soft texture, but overall good tasting.

On our way back home we decided to stop in Sendai to have a few drinks, which turned into 2 bottles of wine and a meeting with this 50 year old American University teacher working in Japan for over 12 years. He was trying to convince us that Japanese people were racists. Maybe he should be a little bit more worried about the racism problems in his own country, before pointing the finger to Japanese people. It is just recently that Japan has opened its borders to other nationalities. After living in Japan for a few months, I know that people stare at you out of pure uncontrollable curiosity and not because they don't like you. If they do criticize foreigners that is because they have unfortunatly been meeting lousy foreigners, or simply because they havent been in contact with enough of us to really understand. They have nothing to be racist about, they dont know anything about us. I think there are 50 foreigners in Fukushima and I take no offence when people stare at me or say tiny little comments about me. I just thought all along that if Japan starts becoming racist, it would be because of people like him who is bringing these negative beliefs in such a peaceful nation. I think it would awake a needless debate and give the Japanese some ideas about a problem that doesnt even really exist. Its like putting fuel to a small fire. He is starting off a debate in a country that doesnt know how to deal with such an issue because, there you go: racism doesnt exist here.

The month of March is right around the corner and then before I know it it will be April. Yippee! My brother is coming, then my mom and Rachel will be living here with me until September. I think I am just tired of being alone and it will be nice to have some familiar faces here. I just cant wait to show them my Japanese world, my life here in Fukushima, my work and live some new japanese experiences with them.

Take care to all of you, I miss you and love you dearly! Just another 6 months before my return home.

e.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'll keep you busy for 4 and a half months. The only thing you'll be missing is peace and quiet because I like to make up random songs and dances. Just ask Natalie (and Puivis) on what living with me is like. I'll keep you entertained. Before you know it, it'll be April and you'll be overrun with visitors. When September comes you'll be wondering where all that time went when we have to come back to Canada...I'll see you in 70 days

Heidi said...

Ah sweetie, I know what´s it´s like to miss one´s parents :) I´m sure that your momma misses her one and only daughter a whole lot as well. She´s really proud of you, and is probably counting down the days until she sees you (in May?). Anyways love, I miss you dearly and I think about you a lot...don´t worry, you´ll have lots of great people visiting you soon! And yes, with Rachel there, I´m sure that time will just fly by :) March is just just around the corner (sigh) we´re getting to Spring slowly but surely, thank God. Hang in there, LOVE YOU xoxoxoxoxoxo

Rachel said...

What will make you happy is more frequent blog updates. I do it on an almost daily basis and I'm quite overjoyed. 68 days...